Students Should Care More About Politics

Photo of a Trump/Pence 2020 sign

As a young student, I feel that it is very important for students to be as involved in politics as they possibly can be, especially in a time when a very important election is right around the corner. This election will have a significant impact on so many people, including students. Using our voice to fight for the rights of yourself and/or others is so crucial. Caring about politics isn’t just about one candidate versus another; it’s about social justice, human rights, public safety and so much more. 

Emily Wright photo.
Emily Wright photo.

I often hear a lot of kids my age tell me that politics is something adults worry about and honestly, I used to be the same way. I used the excuse, I’ll care more when I am older, why does it matter right now? But as I continued exposing myself to new information, I began to realize that politics affect those of us who are younger so much more than I ever realized. As many of us prepare to go into the real world, the decisions and laws being made and passed right now are some of the most important of our lives because they affect OUR future. Decisions about women’s rights, LGBTQ+ rights, costs of healthcare and education, the economy, and so much more will impact our lives.

One of the most common things I hear students say is they want to be more active in politics, but don’t exactly know how to. There are so many things that students can be actively involved in when it comes to politics. It can be anything from going to a protest to fight for something you believe in, it can be signing petitions, donating money to organizations that you support, or using your voice on social media to fight for the issues you strongly believe in. It could even be as simple as reading an article, educating yourself, or even just asking a question. The possibilities are really endless. You don’t have to be of age to vote to make a difference or an impact. 

Being able to develop your thoughts and opinions separate from those of your parents or other adults in your life is really challenging; trust me I know. However, you will never get the chance to determine your stance in politics unless you personally get involved. You will never get the chance to speak for yourself, voice your opinions, be a part of what your future and those of the next generations will look like unless you care.