Halloween During COVID-19

The year 2020 has brought many new normals to those in the United States, and the rest of the world. This Halloween and Beggars Night must adapt to the new normals, and many wonder what it will be like. With countless regulations and precautions in place this holiday is set to be much different than past years, and will set the way for upcoming holidays as well. 

Many students have already had to reevaluate their actions as COVID-19 surges on, and one student, senior Claricia Roose, has already done much of that during her senior year. 

“I think it’s important to celebrate Halloween and other important yearly traditions to bring a sense of balance and familiarity to the crazy year we have had. As long as people make an effort to be safe and healthy, I think everyone should celebrate in their own way,” said Roose. 

With roughly 7,000 students and their families in the Southeast Polk School District, many families have had to readjust some of their traditions and activities usually celebrated during Beggars Night. As many students know, keeping six feet of distance, as well as wearing a mask is the key to staying healthy, but the CDC has released more information to keep the Halloween season safe. 

According to CDC.gov, “These lower risk activities can be safe alternatives: Carving or decorating pumpkins with members of your household and displaying them. Carving or decorating pumpkins outside, at a safe distance, with neighbors or friends. Decorating your house, apartment, or living space, or doing a Halloween scavenger hunt where children are given lists of Halloween-themed things to look for while they walk outdoors from house to house admiring Halloween decorations at a distance.”

The high school’s nurse, Melissa Hansen, wants everyone to know that individual plans won’t just affect yourself. 

“Please think of older family members or classmates that may have underlying health conditions before going to hang out with friends or attend a party. I definitely don’t want to be the reason any of my family members, students, or co-workers get COVID-19,” said Hansen. 

Flyers around the school put emphasis on controlling the pandemic in schools. Grace Touney photo.