DECA Looks Forward to State

Members of DECA pose for a photo. Lauren Simpson photo.

Iowa DECA’s State Career and Development Conference (SCDC) will take place Sunday, February 26 at Southeast Polk. 

DECA is a business nonprofit organization offered in many high schools and colleges. Through DECA, students can learn and enhance their knowledge of business and use it to compete against other students to test their knowledge. 

Over 25 students from Southeast Polk will be competing in different competitive events hoping to earn their spot at the International Career and Development conference on April 21-26 in Orlando, Florida. 

“SCDC gives members the opportunity to test their knowledge in their career cluster by getting the chance to compete and qualify for nationals in their specific events,” said chapter president and senior Maci Kincaid.

Kincaid is a state officer for Iowa DECA, she helps organize the different conferences and competitions that Iowa DECA puts on throughout the year. 

“Being a state officer has given me the opportunity to create an amazing bond with my fellow officers. Even though the position can be high stress we laugh a lot and create memories together,” said Kincaid. 

Kincaid is really looking forward to SCDC because it’s her last “official” event organized by her officer team. Kincaid is also excited to be competing in the Sports and Entertainment Team Decision Making event with her partner Lauren Simpson. 

At SCDC, members have the opportunity to compete in individual or team events, and choose between doing a written event or a live business scenario. 

“I prefer role plays because I feel I can express more creativity in a way I feel I exceed at. I like to think on my feet and see a wide variety of business scenarios,” said sophomore MaKenna Kincaid. 

The live business scenario competitive events include a 100 question career cluster specific exam and one or twi live business scenarios depending on if you participate in a team or individual event. Students who are in their first year joining DECA can participate in “principal” events which only cover the basics of the career cluster.

“I like writing papers because it gives me lots of time to prepare before my event and I know what I’m doing before the day of competition,” said freshman Allie Etnyre. 

Written events similar to a live business scenario event contain a 100 question career cluster specific exam but, instead of competing in live scenarios they present a report on their specific category. This presentation contains a 10 page paper and they give a 15 minute presentation to the judge about their paper.

Students who place first through third in live events or, place first or second in written events qualify for ICDC (The International Career and Development Conference) taking place in Orlando, Florida on April 22-25.