Students Prepare to Graduate Early

As we approach the end of the first semester and prepare for the rest of the year, some students are ahead of the game and will graduate in January. Most students plan on completing a full four years of high school, waiting for senior slump to kick in and graduate in May, but that isn’t the case for all students.

Senior Adalynn Stewart has been planning to graduate early since her freshman year. She went back and forth about it but, in the end, decided it was the best decision for her.

“I think freshman year I wanted to and then I changed my mind, but when junior year came [and] I realized that I only needed five and a half credits to graduate,” said Stewart. 

Graduating early might seem like a confusing and difficult process, but your counselor can help you make sure it is a smooth process. Counselor Amy Daughtery has been helping students with the early graduate process for quite some time.

“If you have a set plan for what you are going to do, then graduating early will benefit you, but I often find that students want to save money and that is why they choose to graduate early,” said Daughtery. “But then I question back, what if you take three DMACC classes through the high school for free? Because that can save students a lot of money and get your general college classes out of the way.”

Graduating early gives graduates many options to use their time. Some will get a jump start on college, military service, get a job or take some time to just relax before their new journey. Stewart recommends being productive during your semester free. 

“I would recommend [graduating early] if you are going to use your time wisely on your semester off,” said Stewart. “I plan to work so I can earn money for student loans.”

Graduating early can be difficult if you have failed classes in the past, but if you have been taking your credits the whole time then graduating early can be easy.

“To make graduating early smooth just plan ahead, the ideal time to decide to graduate a semester early is your junior year,” said Daughtery.