February Athlete of the Month: Evan Rowland

Evan Rowland.

Q: How long have you been swimming?

A: I have been swimming since freshman year.

Q: Who introduced you to swimming?

A: Jalen Sinnwell, he was a sophomore my freshman year.

Q: Who’s an athlete you look up to?

A: My brother Josiah Rowland was a football player and wrestler at Southeast Polk, when he graduated, he started as a Red Shirt Freshman Western Illinois University, a D1 college. I have always looked up to him, because of his integrity and his hardworking attitude.

Q: What are your post-graduation plans? Is swimming included?

A: Sadly, I don’t plan on swimming competitively after high school. My plans do include going to a Christian college, attaining a Paramedics Degree, and pursuing firefighting as a career.

Q: What is your favorite race?

A: The race I like the most is the 100 Freestyle; however, I also enjoy the 100 Butterfly.

Q: Who is your biggest rival this year?

A: Ayden Hall is a senior at Bondurant, however he swims at Southeast Polk, and we have both been faster than each other in the 50 Freestyle and 100 Freestyle at different points in the season and throughout our high school careers. So, I would say that he is my biggest “rival.”

Q: What are your goals for this season?

A: My goals are to break a minute in the 100 Freestyle and 1:10 in the 100 Butterfly.

Q: How has your role on the team changed as a senior?

A: Being a senior in any sport comes with more responsibility, because the team naturally looks up to you. I personally have tried to be hard-working, up-lifting, and to demonstrate all the qualities of a good team member.

Q: What is the most challenging part of swimming?

A: Unlike running in soccer or track, with swimming you can’t just breathe whenever you want. When you have to regulate your breathing, and you start to feel that pain in your lungs, it requires a great deal of mental toughness to push through that and keep on swimming at your max.

Q: Why did you decide to swim competitively?

A: I mainly wanted something to help me stay in shape for soccer, however, when I started swimming, I quickly began to enjoy it just as much as, if not more than, soccer.

Q: What is your favorite part of swimming?

A: My favorite thing in swimming is the community and atmosphere of the sport.